In summer, your biggest concern should be about cooking enough food for your summer party, and not how to deal with sky high utility bills, a rotted deck, or a busted appliance. Preventing problems before they happen is the key to summer home maintenance in New York City. By inspecting and resolving little issues you find, you can avoid larger, more expensive projects down the line. Here’s 3 home maintenance tips for summer that keep you in control of your home’s maintenance before bigger problems start.
1. Make Your Home More Energy Efficient
Summer is one of the best times in New York City to make your home more energy efficient in order to keep the heat out and lower your energy bills. The first thing you should do is check your doors and windows for leaks that let air through. Add weatherstripping to doors or replace broken weatherstripping if you feel air passing through. Inspect your windows’ caulking for any cracks or leaks and replace the broken sections.
You can also reduce your energy bill by purchasing an energy efficient window treatment like plantation shutters - and potentially qualify for a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters reduce air transfer through the glass in your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than normal wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds which are found in many homes.
2. Brighten Up Your Patios And Decks
If you’re planning on hosting parties on your patio or deck during the summer, make sure it’s ready for guests. First, check your deck or patio for safety. Look around to see if there are any stairs, supports, or boards that need replacing because they’re broken and can’t bear weight. Then stain or seal your patio and deck to give it a fresh look and protect it from the summer sun and rain.
After you’ve fixed any broken boards and areas and sealed your patio, it’s time to make it shine. You can add interest to the windows and doors adjacent to your patio and porch by adding window treatments such as sidelight shutters or plantation shutters for your french door or sliding doors. Then make your porch or patio a haven by bringing in your favorite patio furniture or maybe even a fire pit. Landscape the edges of your patio or porch to bring in color.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Broken or leaky appliances can put a stop to your fun summer activities. Here’s a few things to watch out for with your major appliances to keep them running smoothly:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils can increase your utility bill since your fridge needs to work harder. It’s easy to clean and vacuum them out. Unplug your refrigerator and then use your vacuum’s crevice tool (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to vacuum out the coils.
● Dishwasher. Check your dishwasher for any lines that are leaking or backed up water. Then deodorize and deep clean it by running a cycle with a cup of vinegar. The last step is to clean out the filter (which is underneath the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Inspect your washing machine hoses for any cracks, leaks, or bulges. Replace the hoses if needed. Once a year, you should clean your dryer hose and exterior vent or hire a professional to do the job.
Have An Enjoyable Summer
By preventing large problems with your home and appliances, you can enjoy a relaxing summer. And if you want to give your home a beautiful look this summer with window treatments for your patios, dining rooms, or living rooms, browse through our idea gallery and then give us a ring for a free in-home consultation at 631-246-3930. We’ll show you samples of all your window treatment options in New York City and do all the measuring and installation so you can relax and have a pleasant summer.