”In winter, I plot and plan. In spring, I move.” - Henry Rollins. Spring brings out the desire to let in the fresh air and clean out the cobwebs to get your home looking its best.
Here are 3 home improvement tips for spring in New York City to give your home a fresh start.
1. Perform A Spring Checkup For Energy Efficiency And Safety
Spring is one of the best times to ensure all of your home’s systems are working properly for the coming summer months. Here’s a list of some of the things you should inspect every spring in New York City:
- HVAC System. Run your air conditioning system to make sure it’s ready for the coming summer heat. Improve your HVAC system’s energy efficiency by changing your furnace and air conditioning filters. Local HVAC companies may offer this service for a small cost.
- Smoke Detectors. Keep your loved ones safe by testing your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Replace the batteries in your alarms in the spring and in the fall.
- Caulking and Windows. Check the caulking around windows, doors, and kitchen and bathroom fixtures for holes or cracks. Fix the caulking if needed. Put in window treatments, such as plantation shutters, to improve your window’s energy efficiency and temperature control. Open and close each window to ensure that they can move freely.
2. Give Your House A Deep Clean So That It Shines
Nothing makes your house sparkle as well as a good, deep clean. First, declutter every room to open up your home. Then clean surfaces you don’t scrub every week such as ceiling fans, floors, baseboards, and kitchen and bathrooms walls. Wipe your fixtures until they shine. Move your furniture to clean and vacuum under and behind it and then vacuum your furniture as well.
Bring in more light by cleaning your windows. Wipe down your screens and windows to remove smudges and dirt. Clean your window treatments including shutters, draperies, and shades. You can clean your blinds with an ultrasonic cleaning treatment.
3. Give Your Rooms a New Look By Redecorating
After your home is nice and clean, you’re ready for the fun part: redecorating.
An easy way to redecorate is to find new ways to use things you already have. You can give your room a whole new feel by rearranging your furniture. Or try shopping your house, which means switching out the accessories and furniture you already have between rooms. Add more color with bright accessories, fresh paint, and plants.
If you want to give your room a completely new style, then check out our idea gallery for inspiration and ideas. It’s packed with photos of stunning rooms and window treatments for all areas of your house. Once you’ve decided on a color scheme and style you want, you can bring in furniture, artwork, and accessories.
An easy update for your rooms is to bring in window treatments that coordinate with yourcurrent furnishings and enhance your rooms. You can select from a range of shutters including plantation shutters, reclaimed wood shutters, and barn door shutters. We also offer shades and blinds.
Find More Design Tips
If you are looking for even more ideas for inspiration, take a look at our design tips. And when you see a look and window treatment that you love, call us at 631-246-3930 or fill out the form below to set up a free in-home consultation. Our experts will walk you through finding the perfect window treatment to give your room a beautiful, fresh look this spring.